Friday, October 1, 2010

Listening to Cat Stevens in a monastery

Amidst vaulted ceilings and perfect gardens and warm showers and holy hermits' caves,

After a grueling, dusty journey through the desert,

I imbibe peace and solitude, wishing only for you to share this lovely aloneness.


“All the times that I've cried

Keeping all the things I knew inside,

And it's hard,

But it's harder to ignore it.”


I recall a tortured life,

Searching for truth, love, and comfort

From false idols and dead ideas.


“Morning has broken

Like the first morning...”


You are the bright blessed morning

That has blinded me to all else,

As Allah before Bedouins

Who knew only grey, graven statues.


“If you want to sing out, sing out.

And if you want to be free, be free...”


Here without you I want

To seek you and dance together in circles,

Like innocent hippy children

Brimming with sun and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment